“Families need information, we all need to know”
Information and advice to families of those with intellectual disabilities regarding disability and guardianship procedures and testamentary dispositions.
The Pre-guardianship programme is aimed at families who have made and formalised in their will that, in the future, Som – Fundació will be the guardian of their legally disabled relative. The activities organised are meant to promote mutual understanding between Som – Fundació, the ward under pre-guardianship and his family.
Once parents have decided in their will that Som – Fundació will be the Guardian of their relative, the relationship established between families and SOM – FUNDACIÓ CATALANA TUTELAR, is very important in order to promote a bond of mutual understanding.
In this area of pre-guardianship the following objectives are sought:
- To have as much information as possible, and all documentation, of the person to ward under guardianship, when the time comes for acceptance of the guardianship.
- Efficiently streamline all procedures that may help to manage the resources and assistance to which wards may be entitled.
- Inform the families of Som – Fundació’s work methods, so that they may feel at ease and have confidence in Som – Fundació.
- Progressively bring the ward under pre-guardianship with Som – Fundació, creating a relationship that brings security to their future and gives support when they lose their parents or guardians..
- Together with the family and the ward under pre-guardianship plan their future, taking into account their difficulties and needs.
- Stand by the families offering information and advice about resources and assistance they have a right to, and about aspects related to patrimony and wills. The working method with the families and the ward under pre-guardianship consists of:
- Personal interviews and home visits.
- Periodic telephone follow-up.
- Informative meetings and entertainment.
- Ensuring families receive the Som – Fundació annual report and any information that may be of interest to them.
- Coordination with resource professionals and specialized primary care when requested or deemed necessary.
- In specific circumstances, when needed, we accompany the family and the person under pre-guardianship to deal with formalities and legal procedures.